Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Arriving to Saragur

I was assigned to a work in the Vivekananda Memorial Hospital at Sargur, a hospital that provides affordable health care to the tribal and rural population of the area.

Sargur is a small town in the state of Karnataka, 55 km away from Mysore.




Arriving to Sargur took me a like bit longer than expected. When we were about to land in Delhi, where the plane was picking up more people and continuing to Bangalore, a sand storm started. The plane had to land in an alternative airport, in Lucknow, to refuel and to wait for a couple of hours till it was safe to fly back to Delhi, get more people on the plane and be on our way to Bangalore. I ended up staying inside the plane for 15 hours when to total flying time was supposed to be 5 hours. The only food available in the plane was nachos, at least they tasted really good.

I ended up arriving to Bangalore a day later, and then taking the train to Mysore. At this point I was not very concerned when 20 minutes before arriving to Mysore the train stopped. Apparently, there were some issues with the train engines, so we waited for two hours before the train was on its way again. This delay gave me some time to try to talk to some locals, to try some train food and learn some words of Kannada (local language of the region). Overall, it was a fantastic experience that the train was delayed.

After Mysore where I had my formal orientation to the organization at the Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement, I had to take one more bus that was supposed to take 1 hour (it took 3), and drive 8km on auto-rickshaw before arriving to Sargur.

It took me a few days, but once I saw the hospital, the landscape and once I talked to the people I knew it was worthy.


Picture coming soon.  

1 comment:

  1. I love those kind of spontaneous moments that allow you to talk to locals and experience the culture on a different level! It sounds like Sargur is a fantastic place and I can't wait to hear about all the things you do!

    ReplyDelete