Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Can I Stay?

Man...where do I start? And why am I leaving already? Just within the past few weeks, I've met some of the best people, been to some of the best places, and made some of the best memories of my life.
If I were to be honest, at the end of this experience, it is not the project that I am working on that matters the most anymore, it is the people. Even though this blog should be about my story or my project, it is the people whom I have met on the road that made every bit of it meaningful and unforgettable.
First of all, my manager is a really passionate guy who puts 100% in everything he does. Especially working in waste management within the mountains, which can get really frustrating at times, he is always so wholehearted and motivating nevertheless. And I have to thank him for hosting me at the NGO and work along with me for my projects.
There are two guys who came to intern at around the same time as me. I am really thankful for them as they would go the second mile whenever I am in need. From daily translation, making phone calls, using their connection for my project, to booking the cab and taking care of things for my return trip, things wouldn't have been so smooth and so different from day 1 when I was alone trying to figure things out on my own. P.S. One of the guy's brother happened to go to Ohio State...and he himself had actually gotten into Ross but decided to stay back in India.
There is this girl who came from taking a break from work in Mumbai. Now that when I look back, it is actually pretty crazy that we crossed path. Because coming to India, being a videography noob, all I had in my head was getting nice shots and I completely underestimated the technicality and necessities in making a successful film or documentary. And this girl, out of billions of people with thousands of possible careers, happened to have recently worked as an associate producer, and we happened to have met at this specific time and this specific place. That being said, she nevertheless had no obligation or whatsoever, yet she was still willing to help me in so many things that I haven't even thought of. From translating during the interview, subtitles, teaching me about production, giving me suggestions that haven't even crossed my mind, to figuring out ways for post editing (since I lost my laptop and won't be able to start editing until I go home), I wouldn't have been able to complete any of these without her. And even though we spent most of the time together sitting around at cafes, reading or doing nothing, I genuinely enjoyed every single minute of it. It is the kind of company that you simply know that you have each other and yet are able to just be on your own.
We came from different places, having different goals and dreams. So different yet similar that we are able to understand each other, to share this time together that almost seemed surreal.
I am going to miss spending birthdays at the foothill of the Himalayas, cooking huge dinners, making random stupid jokes, learning abusive language in Hindi, and all the spontaneous trips together.
I just felt really happy, the kind of happy that I haven't felt since quite a while ago.
I can't tell you exactly what it's like unless you try it yourself. I guess that is the perk of traveling alone in India.

Well, back to real life, as much as I don't want to leave, I can't wait to go back to start the actual work and show y'all the fruit of this trip. Also, keep an eye out for the coming of a water filtration crowdfunding project that is going to need the kind acts from all of you.

Thanks a lot for this opportunity. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you had such a great experience. Traveling alone in a place like India can really have a profound impact on a person and it seems as though it has had one on you! I can't wait to learn more about your project in your final report!

    ReplyDelete