Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Kolkata: Pre-Departure

I woke up this morning and my first thought was "oh my god I'm going to India in two days". I was waiting for it to sink in and I guess today was the day. I also got my typhoid shot this afternoon and my arm is really sore, which led me to procrastinate typing this all day. Luckily that was my last out of the house preparation for the trip. Now I am just focused on packing. I didn't realize how much I was going to need! My mom has equipped me with an on the go pharmacy so I am considering a second suitcase...

I am traveling to Kolkata to work with Jeevika Development Society. They are an organization that works towards empowering women in the areas surrounding Kolkata. I will be working with their women and girls' rights program to carry out a survey about the attitudes towards the marriage of young girls. They have been so helpful and kind over e-mail as well as being very organized. The correspondence I've had with them so far has really helped me remain calm throughout this whole process. I am looking forward to finally meeting all the people within the organization!

Right now my feelings are of excitement, uneasiness, and uncertainty. I was talking to my good friend the other day about my trip and the only thing I could really say about it was that this is the first time in a long time that I have done something where I have almost no previous experience to draw from or compare it to. This is equally scary as it is exciting. So right now I am eagerly awaiting my trip and the adventure I am about to embark on. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading about your experiences, Emily! Best of luck and hope your arm is feeling better at this point!

    ReplyDelete