Saturday, July 19, 2014

Delhi Week Four

I have been spending more time in the clinic these days, because the mobile medical unit needs a new register very soon and I'm the "Register girl." So it's been a lot of drawing lines and writing in medical names. As for my paper, it is almost done. The introduction just needs a few more paragraphs and I need to do the discussion.

In Delhi, monsoon season has started. That means surprise rains and cooler weather. The children love the rain -- they dance in the streets as it pours sheets of water. The basti is so congested that it begins to flood and the sewers overflow, but it hasn't been that bad yet. It's actually a welcome relief that things have started to cool down.

I've been to Central Market the other day, and I was surprised to see a Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks there. Subway seems to be relatively popular, even in the neighboring district of Jangpura. Western food is almost always much more costly, however. For less than a dollar I can get a fulfilling and tasty meal of dal, naan, and basmati. Why not :) They also had rows and rows of market for women's clothing and jewelry. Bracelets, earrings, sarees, tights, etc. As much as I liked them, I prefer the markets in Jangpura and the Basti, where more beautiful fabrics and jewelry come at a cheaper price.

Tomorrow, I will go to Old Delhi to see the Lotus Temple and a book market. In the meantime, a friend of mine leant me a book on learning Hindi and its script. Wish me luck with that!

1 comment:

  1. I'll look forward to hearing about the Lotus Temple and book market. I'm glad you've been able to get around and do different things, while still getting some major research done! I'd love to see some pictures!!

    ReplyDelete