Sunday, July 13, 2014

Jeevika: Week Four

This week I started my interviews! My first interview was with Durbar, a sex worker's organization. They began as an HIV intervention program that trained sex workers to lead health ed. classes for other sex workers. It now has many different interventions that aid sex workers, but the main goal is to de-stigmatize and legalize sex work. The second organization I interviewed was Sappho for Equality, a LBT women's group. Sappho began as a support group for LBT women and then grew into the activism part that is Sappho for Equality. Both of these organizations were so interesting. They work with different groups of women with different goals but their interpretation of women's position within Indian society was very similar. Their interventions also stemmed from many of the same concepts. The people I talked to were also so intelligent so just being in their presence was great. I can't wait to meet more people and get more information.

I got to go into the field a few times this week as well. I'm really glad that Jeevika works within the more rural areas because I think being exposed to the more rural areas of the state gives me a really good perspective with my work. It is very different outside of the city and really influences how I look at my work. My supervisor and I worked on transcribing interviews this week and I am currently analyzing them. I'm excited to be getting into the real work of the report.


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are having a truly unique experience. I'm so glad you've had the opportunity to explore outside of the city and that you're getting real hands on experience interviewing and working with the local people. I'd love to see some pictures!!

    ReplyDelete